Started in 1954, the Long Beach Island Surf Fishing Classic is one of the nation's oldest and most recognized surfcasting tournaments. (Check out our Tournament Archive) The eight week surf fishing tournament for striped bass and bluefish offers surfcasters the opportunity to compete for thousands of dollars in daily, weekly, segment and grand prizes. There is additional special prizes presented by businesses, fishing clubs as well as participants and supporters. For more details about the Tournament Rules and Prizes see below.
The LBI Surf Fishing Classic Committee in partnership with the Southern Ocean County Chamber of Commerce is set for the 2016 fall fishing season! The 62nd Annual LBI Surf Fishing Classic kicks off on October 8th and runs until December 4, 2016. Don't miss out! Attend the opening day seminar.
2016 First Fish Awards:
- $25 Gift Certificate to each of first 20 tournament weigh-ins at Captain’s Quarters Bait and Tackle
- One $100 Cash Award for First Legal Red Drum
2016 Special Prizes:
- Lure Only - No Bait Prize: John Parzych, a long time friend and participant of the Classic, offers two custom rods; one to the largest bluefish and one to the largest striped bass caught on a lure (artificial).
- Custom Fishing Rod courtesy of RH Custom Rods, One winner drawn at random from all registered anglers.
- $50 Gift Certicate to Surf City Bait & Tackle to the Largest Overall Striped Bass Caught in Barnegat Light. In Memory of Harold Ferreri, Life Long Derby Angler. Donated by: Mike Ginn
- $50 Cash to the Largest Overall Bluefish Caught in Barnegat Light. In Memory of Harold Ferrari, Life Long Derby Angler. Donated by: Josh & Bonnie Ferreri
2016 Bonus Cash Days: Save The Date!
- Oct 8 - $500 Cash Award for the Largest Striped Bass
- Oct 12 - $250 Cash Award For Largest Striped Bass
(In Honor of Robert “Jingles” O’Brien From Jingles B&T)
- Oct 19 - $250 Cash Award For Largest Striped Bass
(In honor of Ric O'Brien from Jingles Bait and Tackle)
- Oct 31 - $500 Cash Award for Largest Striped Bass
(Courtesy of Surf City Bait & Tackle)
- Nov 5 - $500 Cash Award for Largest Striped Bass
- Nov 16 - $500 Cash Award for Largest Striped Bass
(In Honor of Frank Panzone)
Winners based on fish weight & time of weigh-in as per standard contest day, not day of catch. See details pertaining to “Weighing” Rules Section 8. In the event no fish are scored the Special Daily Awards will roll over into the following day(s) until awarded.
*See the Rules & Prizes Brochure listed below for more details. Click to download printable pdf version.